The number of job postings for cybersecurity experts in Hawaii grew by 39% between 2010 and 2014 according to the workforce research firm Burning Glass Technologies. In its 2015 Cybersecurity Jobs Report, Burning Glass reported that the concentration of cybersecurity job listings in Hawaii was 31% higher on a per capita basis than the nationwide average. Cybersecurity jobs typically pay high salaries—9% greater than the average IT job according to the research firm.
Hawaii’s proximity to the Pacific Rim drew several highly prominent cybersecurity companies to expand operations to take advantage of its location. Senator Daniel K. Inouye accelerated his focus on making Hawaii a center for cybersecurity, energy infrastructure solutions, and interoperability operations in 2011 when he gave the keynote speech for the opening of Honolulu-based Referentia Systems’ new Cyber Collaboration Center.
- The UC Berkeley School of Information's Online Master of Information and Cybersecurity prepares students with the technical, conceptual, and practical skills needed for a professional career in cybersecurity. Complete in 20 Months. GRE/GMAT required. Request information.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers a Master of Science in Cybersecurity program delivered online. The program prepares students with the necessary foundations for the design and development of assured, secure computer systems in order to predict, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. Bachelor's degree is required. Request Information.
Referentia Systems works closely with US Pacific Command, the Navy, and other agencies in cybersecurity with the end goal of creating improved network defense technologies. In addition, the company works with Hawaiian Electric Industries to demonstrate cybersecure solutions and smart grid management scalable for a global market.
The prominent cybersecurity company root9b opened its third national facility in Honolulu in 2014, offering cutting-edge research, operations, and training. The company states on its website that it ranked number 1 on the “Cybersecurity 500” list of the most innovative companies in the industry.
Fortune 500 corporations and federal agencies take advantage of root9b’s manned information security services. Featured research at root9b’s facility includes pioneering techniques in adversary hunt missions, reverse engineering of advanced malware, and developing secure communications platforms.
Salaries for Key Cybersecurity Experts in Honolulu
According to the Robert Half Technology 2016 Salary Guide, cybersecurity specialists in Hawaii can expect to earn salaries within the ranges shown here. Cybersecurity specialists with advanced expertise and master’s degrees can expect to earn on the high end of these ranges:
- Data Security Analysts: $119,175 – $168,000
- Information Security Administrators: $110,775 – $156,975
- Network Security Administrators: $108,413 – $154,350
Salaries for Information Security Analysts in Urban Honolulu
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) provided employment data and salaries for information security analysts in Hawaii as of 2015. Nearly 95% of Hawaii’s information security analysts were located in urban Honolulu: