The number of jobs listed for cybersecurity analysts, auditors, engineers, architects, and administrators in Louisiana increased 2.75-fold between 2010 and 2014 according to the tech staffing firm Burning Glass Technologies. Such a high level of demand has created a shortage of skilled cybersecurity experts, and with this demand comes high salaries for these professionals.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S. in Cyber Security
- ECPI University - Online Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Science with a Major in Cyber and Network Security
- SNHU - B.S and M.S. in Cybersecurity
- The UC Berkeley School of Information's Online Master of Information and Cybersecurity prepares students with the technical, conceptual, and practical skills needed for a professional career in cybersecurity. Complete in 20 Months. GRE/GMAT required. Request information.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers a Master of Science in Cybersecurity program delivered online. The program prepares students with the necessary foundations for the design and development of assured, secure computer systems in order to predict, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. Bachelor's degree is required. Request Information.
- Norwich University - Master of Science in Cybersecurity
The state of Louisiana pioneered the first Fusion Center in the country with cyber capabilities in 2009, and currently the LA-SAFE’s Cyber Security Team remains an integral part of the Louisiana Fusion Center’s Cyber Fusion Unit.
In a 2014 article entitled “New Opportunities in Cybersecurity,” the Bossier Press reported how the area between Shreveport and Bossier City boasts a large number of cyberwarriors. As one of the country’s premier cybersecurity clusters, the Pentagon has selected this area to train even more cyberwarriors.
In addition, the Cyber Innovation Center (CIC) is located in this area. The Department of Homeland Security provides funding to the CIC which also hosts companies like Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, and Hitachi Data Systems. In fact, IT leader CSC selected Bossier City from 134 locations around the country for its next-generation technology center location at the National Cyber Research Park campus.
Senator Mary Landrieu announced in 2014 that the DOD funding bill for FY2015 included future cybersecurity opportunities for jobs along the I-20 Tech corridor. A number of factors make this area a prime locale for cybersecurity research including the CIC in the Northwest and CenturyLink in the Northeast. Investment in research has been credited with creating more high-paying jobs and keeping the government and businesses safe from cyberattacks.
Louisiana received national press in 2015 with the announcement that it will be one of three states hosting special National Guard teams to address cybersecurity concerns. Two teams will be located in Louisiana with the purpose of responding to emergencies that include cyberattacks. Four of the team members will be stationed in New Orleans at a joint headquarters. The team should be fully operational by 2019.
Salaries for Key Cybersecurity Experts in New Orleans and Baton Rouge
According to the Robert Half Technology 2016 Salary Guide, cybersecurity specialists in New Orleans and Baton Rouge can expect to earn salaries within the ranges shown here. Cybersecurity specialists with master’s degree have the advanced expertise to earn on the high end of these ranges:
New Orleans and Baton Rouge:
- Data Security Analysts: $108,994 – $153,648
- Information Security Administrators: $104,445 – $148,005
- Network Security Administrators: $102,218 – $145,530
Salaries for Information Security Analysts in Louisiana’s Major Cities
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provided a high level of detail on the salaries for information security analysts in the major cities of Louisiana as of 2015. Information security analysts with a master’s degree can expect to earn salaries in the highest percentiles: