With the increased number of cyber breaches around the world, government agencies, businesses, and purveyors of critical infrastructure place a strong emphasis on cyberprotection. In Tennessee, the number of job postings for cybersecurity architects, engineers, auditors, analysts, and administrators in Tennessee increased nearly 100% between 2010 and 2014 according to the workforce research firm Burning Glass Technologies.
- The UC Berkeley School of Information's Online Master of Information and Cybersecurity prepares students with the technical, conceptual, and practical skills needed for a professional career in cybersecurity. Complete in 20 Months. GRE/GMAT required. Request information.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers a Master of Science in Cybersecurity program delivered online. The program prepares students with the necessary foundations for the design and development of assured, secure computer systems in order to predict, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. Bachelor's degree is required. Request Information.
Demand is so high for cybersecurity experts that UPI.com published an article about the “talent shortage” in the field in 2015. This shortage fuels increasing salaries for specialists in cybersecurity, and Burning Glass Technologies reported that the average salary for a cybersecurity expert exceeds that of other types of IT professionals by $6,500.
The Tennessee Valley Authority works to set a standard for the utility industry. The TVA contracted the commercial company Black & Veatch to support its cybersecurity standards for nuclear power generation, transmission, hydro, and river operations. With the startup of the Watts Bar Unit 2 nuclear reactor near Spring City, the TVA ramped up its schedule for nuclear cybersecurity.
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory also helps protect the country’s power grid from cyber threats. In 2015, the Lab announced the commercial licensing of its Hyperion software which helps to detect maliciously altered software.
Franklin boasts headquarters of the heavyweight cybersecurity company Cybera. This company’s Secure SD-WAN gives applications their own secure virtual network and prevents breach propagation. More than 23 countries use this software including ones as far afield as Papua New Guinea. As of 2016, companies as disparate as gas stations and medical providers used this platform to secure more than 8 billion transactions. Inc5000 recognized the company 7 times as one of the country’s fastest growing private companies.
Salaries for Cybersecurity Professionals in Tennessee’s Major Cities
The Robert Half Technology 2016 Salary Guide provided the salary ranges for cybersecurity admins and analysts in Tennessee’s major cities. Professionals with a master’s degree can expect to earn salaries that fall at the high end of these ranges:
Data Security Analysts:
- Chattanooga: $97,985 – $138,128
- Cool Springs: $108,994 – $153,648
- Knoxville: $97,985 – $138,128
- Memphis: $104,590 – $147,440
- Nashville: $109,545 – $154,424
Systems Security Administrators:
- Chattanooga: $93,985 – $133,055
- Cool Springs: $104,445 – $148,005
- Knoxville: $93,985 – $133,055
- Memphis: $100,225 – $142,025
- Nashville: $104,973 – $148,753
Network Security Administrators:
- Chattanooga: $91,893 – $130,830
- Cool Springs: $102,218 – $145,530
- Knoxville: $91,893 – $130,830
- Memphis: $98,088 – $139,650
- Nashville: $102,734 – $146,265
Salaries for Information Security Analysts Throughout Tennessee
The Computing Technology Industry Association trade group reported accelerating job growth for information security analysts in the US, since the number of job postings for these analysts more than doubled between the first quarter of 2014 and that of 2015.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides hourly and annual salary figures for information security analysts in the major cities of Tennessee and the North Central nonmetropolitan area of the state. Information security analysts who possess a master’s degree have the expertise to earn salaries that fall within the 90th percentile: